What you need to make 8 squares:
For the Cake:
- 60g coconut oil
- 2 tbspoons maple syrup
- 1 tspoon vanilla extract
- 3 mashed (very ripe) bananas
- 1tspooon baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- 35g desiccated coconut
- 1tbspoon maca powder
For the blueberry filling:
- 60g blueberries
- 3 tbspoons water
- 1tbspoon honey
- Start by preheating your oven to 180 ° (fan) and gas mark 7 and line a tray (roughly 12″ x 10″) with baking parchment.
- Melt the coconut oil if needed, and place in a bowl (it may already be runny if it’s hot in your kitchen) then add your maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Beat your egg in a separate bowl and mash your bananas with a fork in another, before adding both to your other ingredients and mixing to form a smooth wet mixture.
- To this add your baking powder, ground almonds, desiccated coconut and maca powder and mix everything together well to form your cake mixture.
- Place this mixtre into your lined tray and spread evenly (it will only be about 2 inches high but will rise when it is baked)
- Then place your cake into the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Whilst your cake is in the oven, mix your blueberries with the water and honey and gently simmer over the heat for 8-10 minutes until it becomes a thicker consistency and all of the blueberries have softened into mush.
- Once done, take your cake out of the oven and leave on a cooling rack.
- When the cake it totally cooled, cut in down the middle so you have two half sections, and then evenly spread your blueberry mixture on the top of one half before placing the other half of your cake on top to form your double layer.
- Cut your cake evenly into 8 squares, and scatter some coconut flakes and blueberries on top to make them look even more irresistible!
Let me know what you think of the recipe and feel free to leave any comments!
Love Lotty X