These bars are super easy to make with only six ingredients there is no excuse not to give them a try!
WHY IS COCONUT GOOD FOR ME?
There are so many great benefits of coconut but one of the main things that makes it a perfect energy boosting food is that due to the high levels of good saturated fats, it easily gets burned as fuel rather than stored as body fat.
This is because coconuts contains fats in the form of medium chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs) which are rapidly metabolised into energy in the liver. Therefore, unlike other saturated fats, MCFAs are used up more quickly by the body and are less likely to be stored as fat.
What You Need to make 16 bars:
- 200g desiccated coconut
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- 200g dates blended with 8 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(option to sprinkle some cacao nibs or chopped almonds on top)
What you need to do:
- Place the coconut, ground almonds and cacao in a bowl and combine to form your dry ingredients.
- Place the dates and the water in a food processor and wizz up together to from a paste.
- Place the combined dry ingredients in the food processor with the dates, along with the honey and vanilla and wizz up again until sticky and totally combined.
- Place the mixture in a square cake tin lined with baking parchment and press down with a spoon until even and smooth.
- Place the tin in the fridge for around 1 hour or in the freeze for around 30 minutes just to set everything together.
- Once set, take out the tin and cut the square into roughly 16 rectangular shaped bars.
- Option to sprinkle with some cacao nibs or chopped almonds.
- Store the bars in the fridge in a container for up to three weeks.