These handy bars are a great snack to have on the go that will give you energy for hours…this recipe is best with fresh medjool dates but you can use dry dates and still get a lovely taste!
Dates are natures natural energy booster! They packed full of vitamins, minerals and fiber, they make great natural sweeteners and sugar alternatives, but they’re not just delicious they’re full of health benefits too such as reducing cholesterol and aiding digestion.
What you need: (makes 16 bars)
- 1 chai tea bag (although any type of tea would work)
- 250g pitted Medjool dates
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g coconut flour
- 60g cup rolled oats
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 50g coconut sugar sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 50g raw dark chocolate
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/ gas mark 6 and line an 8-inch square tray with baking parchment.
- Make the chai tea by placing the tea bag into a large mug and filling with boiling water. Leave it to infuse for about 5/10 minutes before discarding the tea bag and then add the dates to the tea and set aside for 10 minutes to soak and take in some of the flavour of the tea.
- After the dates have soaked, drain the liquid from them and wiz them in a blender until as smooth as possible.
- Place this date purée into a large bowl, then add the ground almonds, coconut flour, oats, coconut oil, coconut sugar sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and maple syrup and then mix everything together well to form a soft mixture.
- Put the mixture into the prepared tray so it is smooth and even and then place in the oven for 30 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown but should be still soft to touch.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool before cutting into 16 bars.
- Then melt the 50g of dark chocolate and drizzle over the top lightly, just to add another layer of flavour as the bitter chocolate contrasts nicely with the sweet dates.