The almonds used in this recipe are full of nutrients that help to keep you fuller for longer and the protein and fat found in them not only stops any food cravings, but gives you loads of energy! They contain potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, vitamin E, copper, calcium, selenium and copper, SO GO NUTS FOR NUTS!
What you need
- 4 egg whites
- 150g ground almond
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g coconut sugar or any of your favourite sweeteners (optional)
- 50g raw dark chocolate
What do do:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until you form still peaks.
- Fold in the coconut sugar, desiccated coconut, vanilla extract and ground almonds to form a sticky dough.
- Place heaped teaspoons of the dough on a baking tray into round circles, making sure you leave a bit of space between each one on the baking tray, and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until slightly brown.
- Once the macaroons are completely cooled, melt the chocolate in a small bowl placed over a pan of boiling water and then drizzle over the macaroons.
If these last long enough (they don’t with my friends and family around) then you can store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days… but they do taste best when freshly made so you find that lovely gooey, chewy texture that makes macaroons so great.