I came up with the idea for this cake after my recent trip to the Algarve in Portugal. In an amazing fish restaurant in a small town called Salema I was served a fig and Carob cake which was delicious! Carob is pretty hard to get your hands on so I have substituted it with Cacao which gives the same delicious chocolatey flavour!
What You Need:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup almond pieces
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped figs (around 4 figs)
- 4 eggs
What You Need To Do:
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Mix together the flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, oats, almonds and baking powder.
- Next add the honey, coconut oil, milk.
- Then chop the figs into small pieces and add to the mixture before stirring everything together.
- In a bowl separate the egg whites from the yoke, Beat the egg whites to form an even, creamy consistency and then add the egg yolks to the mixture and mix before finally folding in the egg whites.
- Bake in the oven for 45/50 minutes.
- Leave to cool and enjoy!
NOTE: This also makes a great pudding for a dinner party! Serve with some fresh organic custard and you have a healthy, delicious and nutritious desert for your guests.