SALTED CARAMEL has always been one of my favourite flavour combinations, in fact I think you could call it an addiction! So I was desperate to find away to create this contrasting but complimentary flavour combination with one of my healthy recipes… so here I use sweet and gooey dates and Himalayan sea salt alongside coconut, which I finds brings out the two flavours even more with its lovely chewy texture… It’s the perfect blend that wins me over every time!
Before you start this recipe, take your soft pitted dates and place them in a bowl with one chai tea bag, before covering the dates in boiling water and then leave to stew for at least 2 hours…
What you need: (to make 16 squares of fudge)
- 250g soft pitted dates
- 1 chai tea bag
- 3 tablespoons of tea mix
- 125g desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Pip&Nut chocolate and hazelnut butter
- Sprinkle of flaked coconut
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
What you need to do:
- Start by lining a small square tin or ceramic tray (around 8 by 8 inches) with baking parchment.
- Drain your dates into a bowl, catching the tea in a separate bowl to use later.
- In a blender, place your dates with 3 tablespoons of the tea mixture, desiccated coconut, cacao powder, maple syrup and nut butter and whizz until combined and the dates are completely whizzed up (you may need to mix the ingredients in the blender a few times as it can get quite sticky).
- Place this mixture in your tray and press right into the corners and make sure it is evenly spread along the top before sprinkling on some flaked coconut and a pinch of sea salt, and then place in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Take out of the freezer and carefully remove the solid square from the tray, using the baking parchment to help, and then with a large sharp knife, cut into 16 equal pieces.
- Place these pieces in a tin in the fridge to keep them solid and enjoy whenever you fancy a small sweet treat or serve to guests with a cup of chai tea to compliment the flavours!