This is a take on my tried and tested banana bread recipe but with a twist… a gooey chocolate molten centre that oozes out as soon as you cut into the cake! YUM!
What you need:
- 75g melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 100g oat flour (just finely ground up porridge oats)
- 3 mashed bananas… the riper the better!
- 100g pitted majdool dates
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
What you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 180 (fan) or gas mark 7 and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Mix together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Next beat the egg in a separate bowl and then add this to the mix and stir well. Then mash your bananas in a separate bowl and add them to the mixture before giving it all one final stir.
- To this, add your dry ingredients; baking powder, cinnamon, ground almonds, desiccated coconut, and oat flour (this can be made by placing porridge oats in a blender until a thin flour consistency is created).
- Now make your chocolate centre by placing your pitted majdool dates and cacao powder in a food blender with 3 tablespoons of water and wizz up until fairly smooth. You may need to spoon down the sides and wizz up again a few times and it doesn’t matter if there are still a few small pieces of dates in this mixture.
- Place half of your mixture into a lined loaf tin and then spoon all of your chocolate date mixture down a line in the centre. Then place the second half of your cake mixture on top of this so that it is completely covered and held in place in the centre.
- Place your loaf tin in the oven for 45-50 mins… wait to cool completely before cutting down the middle to find your surprise molten centre…PERFECTION!
Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days (but it probably won’t last that long!)