These lemon and almond cookies are simple, delicious and SIMPLY DELICIOUS!
WHAT YOU NEED:
(Makes 16 cookies)
- 75g coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g rye flour
- 100g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- flaked almonds to decorate
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- Drizzle teaspoon honey
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC or gas mark 5 and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients, coconut oil (you may need to slightly heat this up so it becomes softer), 1 egg, maple syrup, honey, and vanilla extract and beat together.
- Then fold in your rye flour and ground almonds until fully combined.
- Shape into a ball, flatten and then wrap this in cling film and chill in the fridge until firm, (for about 30 mins).
- Flour a clean surface and roll the dough out to roughly 1.5cm thickness.
Use a 7cm circular cookie cutter to cut 12 cookie circles out of the dough (you may need to re-roll any off cuts at certain points).
- Next, carefully place all of the cookies on the lined baking sheet and sprinkle with a few flaked almonds (use a spatula or palette knife to do this to stop them breaking).
- Bake in the hot oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, squeeze a little lemon juice over the top of the cookies and drizzle with a little honey (you can also top with more flakes almonds and some extra lemon zest for decorating!)