Try mixing things up this pancake day with these super simple, healthy, flour free banana and coconut pancakes! Amazing for breakfast to fuel your workout, or afterwards to replenish your tissues and nourish your body!
Desiccated coconut is a great source of both magnesium and copper, the minerals needed to keep the tissues strong in our skin, tendons, ligaments, bones and teeth. These tissues contain collagen, a tough and resilient protein fiber which holds the tissue together. We need both copper and magnesium to support healthy collagen production and just 30g of desiccated coconut offers 43% of the recommended daily intake of magnesium for women and 34% for men, as well as a quarter of the recommended daily copper intake… so it’s pretty useful stuff!
What you need: (Makes 10/12 small ‘American’ style pancakes)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 75 g desiccated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g fresh blueberries
- coconut oil, for frying
- maple syrup, to serve
- Dollop of yogurt, to serve (optional)
What you need to do:
- Mash the bananas in medium-sized bowl and then whisk in the eggs, desiccated coconut and cinnamon to make a batter. Then, stir in around 100g of the blueberries (reserve the remaining few for serving).
- Heat the a little coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Then add 2/3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake (you can have several pancakes in the pan at a time).
- Use a spatula to carefully flip the pancakes when they have set and the bottom is golden (should take about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second).
- Stack the pancakes and top with the reserved blueberries and then drizzle with maple syrup and a big dollop of yoghurt (if you are using it) and sprinkle with a little extra desiccated coconut for perfection!