It is about time that I posted a recipe for some good old fashioned ENERGY BALLS! I’ve never actually posted an energy ball recipe before but they are so quick easy to make and are perfect for a pre/post workout snack… they also keep in a container in the fridge happily for 2/3 weeks so it’s so handy to have a batch for my “go to” energy source! I’m going to tell you why these balls are magic and extremely delicious and nutritious…
Dates -Packed full of vitamins, minerals and fiber, they make great natural sweeteners and they also help with reducing cholesterol and aiding digestion.
Almonds – Containing lots of healthy fats they can help reduce hunger and promote weight loss as well as lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels and reducing blood pressure.
Coconut – A perfect energy boosting food due to the high levels of good saturated fats, it easily gets burned as fuel rather than stored as body fat.
Maca Powder – Naturally high in minerals, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc – Maca is great for fighting fatigue and reducing stress.
Cacao Powder – Full of flavonoids, which act as natural antioxidants.
What you need:
(Makes 15 – 20 balls, depending on size)
- 250g pitted Medjool dates
- 100g ground of almonds
- 50g of walnuts or any other nut
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
What you need to do:
- Start by placing the almonds, nuts and desiccated coconut in your food processor and blend until a flour-like consistency forms and the nuts have broken up.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, the pitted dates, melted coconut oil, maca powder, cacao powder and honey and blend for another minute until a sticky dough mixture forms.
- Use your hands to roll the mixture into little balls, place in a bowl and store in the fridge. – These can keep happily in the fridge for 2/3 weeks so they are perfect to have stored for a healthy snack!
– Time to enjoy!