Friands are delightful little cakes, invented by the French, that are made predominantly of ground almonds and use whipped egg whites to make them nice and light and they are super easy to make! Friands have always been one of my favourite cakes! As one of their main ingredients in ground almonds (rather than flour anyway) it wasn’t too hard to give them a lottyloves twist… these delicious ‘Blueberry and Lemon’ refined sugar free and gluten free versions are YUM!
What you need:
- 80g unsalted butter
- 80g coconut sugar sugar
- 120g ground almonds
- 3 medium egg whites
- Grated rind of 1 unwaxed lemon
- (Roughly 50g) blueberries
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C or gas mark 6 and generously butter 12 non-stick friand or muffin tins.
- First start by melting the butter in a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Next, place the sugar and ground almonds in a bowl and mix.
- Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until they form a light, floppy foam. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites and lemon rind, then lightly stir in the butter to form a soft batter.
- Divide the batter among the tins, a large serving spoon is perfect for this job.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of blueberries over each cake and bake for 15-20 minutes until just firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.